KCB through to FKF Cup final after seeing off Kariobangi Sharks on penalties

KCB through to FKF Cup final after seeing off Kariobangi Sharks on penalties

Festus Chuma 15:32 - 26.05.2024

The Bankers and Sharks battled to a draw in the FKF Cup semifinal leading to a decisive penalty shootout for a final spot.

KCB defeated Kariobangi Sharks 4-2 on penalties following a 1-1 draw in the FKF Cup semifinal match at Police Sacco Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Consequently, the Bankers advanced to the final where they will face the winner of the second semifinal between AFC Leopards and Kenya Police. 

The final is scheduled for Saturday, June 29th at a venue to be announced later.

Meanwhile, the Slum Boys were eliminated from the tournament but will aim to return to winning ways in their upcoming league game against Bidco United away on June 16.

Sharks started the match brightly and they nearly grabbed an early goal through John Makwata whose effort was well-saved by goalkeeper Farouk Shikhalo just a minute into the game.

The Bankers gradually grew into the game and came very close to scoring when Hannif Wesonga hit a left-footed shot into the wall in the 25th minute.

Mark Makwata was denied again in the 40th by goalkeeper Shikhalo, who was keen to impress again having kept two clean sheets in their last three matches.

The score was 0-0 at halftime.

KCB were the better start after the restart and Herit Mungai forced goalkeeper Sepstianos Wekesa into a fantastic one-handed save just several minutes into the second half.

Shortly thereafter, the Bankers needed Ian Tifa to make a clearance off his own goal line as Kariobangi Sharks threatened from a corner kick.

KCB threw on the likes of Derrick Otanga and Philemon Nyakwaka to try and gain some cutting edge in the final third, but the Slum Boys' resilient defense stood firm and held out for a stalemate.

However, the deadlock was broken in the 76th minute by Derrick Otanga, who ran onto Shikalo's delivery before sending the ball past the advancing Sepstianos Wekesa to make it 1-0.

Two minutes later, Kariobangi Sharks found the equalizer through Fortune Omoto, who placed the ball into the back of the net from a rebound after Makwata's shot hit the bar, making it 1-1.

KCB finished the second-half the stronger of the two teams with the last chance of the game falling for Philemon Nyakwaka whose attempt went over the bar.

Ultimately, the match ended in a 1-1 draw in regulation time and the encounter went straight into extra time with a spot in the final at stake.

Sharks created the better chances in extra-time, but they were wasteful as Makwata and Masaba missed chances 91st minute and 118th minute respectively with KCB under siege.

Ultimately, the game ended in a 0-0 draw and a penalty shootout followed. KCB went on to win 4-2 on penalties after Farouk Shikhalo denied Geoffrey Onyango and Stanely Wilson Omondi during the penalty shoot.

How they lined up:

KCB FC: Farouk Shikalo, KevinOkumu, Herit Mungai, Nahashon Alembi, Hannif Wesonga, Maurice Ojwang, Stephen Etyang, Brian Ochieng, Collins Neto, Derrick Omondi, James Mazembe.

Kariobangi Sharks : Sepstianos Wekesa, Onesnas Luke, Ian Taifa, Steve Biko, Geoffrey Onyango, Fortune Omoto, Biron Otieno, Keith Imbali, Leonlevitt Otieno, Mark Makwatta, Julius Masaba

Follow us on X (Twitter) for more updates.