Saturday Wrap: Nzoia held by Posta, Tusker overcome stubborn Mathare

Image: Nzoia Sugar

FKFPL Saturday Wrap: Nzoia held by Posta, Tusker overcome stubborn Mathare

Festus Chuma 07:03 - 19.02.2023

Tusker move a spot up to fifth in the standings while Nzoia remain second.

Football Kenya Federation Premier League (FKFPL) action continued on Saturday with six matches played across the country.

Nzoia Sugar missed a chance to go top of the table as Posta Rangers held them to a 1-1 draw at Sudi Stadium.

The Sugar Millers enjoyed most of the ball with attacking intent in the opening exchanges, though Rangers were well organized to keep the Nzoia attack at bay.

Nzoia went ahead in the 17th minute courtesy of John Mwangi's strike but Rangers found an equalizer in the 37th minute through Willaim Odero.

On the resumption of the second half, Nzoia surged forward and had a chance to go ahead in the 50th minute when they got a penalty after Hassan Beja was brought down inside the area, but Boniface Muyendo saw his penalty saved by Rangers goalkeeper Kelvin Opiyo.

Vincent Mahiga went close to breaking the deadlock from a free kick, but it went straight to the Rangers goalkeeper's hands.

Nzoia remains second with 32 points from 16 matches, while Rangers remain 11th on the log.

At the Kasarani Annex, Kenya Police FC dropped two valuable points after they were held to a 1-1 draw by FC Talanta.

Alex Luganji gave Talanta the lead in the 47th minute, but Police restored parity in the 52nd-minute courtesy of Elvis Rupia's penalty after Duke Abuya was brought down in the area.

Image: Police FC

The draw saw the Law Enforcers remain fifth on the league standings, and will be looking to bounce back to winning ways when they host Gor Mahia on Saturday.

At Ruaraka Grounds, Tusker FC returned to winning ways with a 2-1 victory over Mathare United.

Tusker opened the scoring through Ibrahim Joshua in the 52nd minute. The Slum Boys would equalize seven minutes later as Donald Ange struck home after being set up by Khalid Jumaan.

The victory moves Tusker to fifth place on the log standings, six points behind table leaders Gor Mahia, while Mathare remains in 17th position.

Elsewhere, Wazito FC were held to a 2-2 draw by Bandari FC in an entertaining match played at Muhoroni Stadium.

Umaru Kasumba gave Bandari the lead in the first minute, only for Collins Neto to equalize two minutes later.

Wazito were awarded a penalty in the seventh minute, and Neto stepped up and converted the penalty despite the best efforts of Bandari's Michael Wanyika, who guessed the right direction.

Bandari leveled matters in the 40th minute when Willam Wadri rose above his marker and nodded a header past custodian Ezekiel Owade.

Wazito pressed hard for a winner in the closing minutes, but they wasted a chance when Neto had a penalty saved by Wanyika.

At the Bukhugu Stadium, Patrick Odhiambo started his reign as Kakamega Homeboyz coach with a goalless draw against Nairobi City Stars.

Odhiambo would have been hoping to mark his first game at Homeboyz with three points against the Simba wa Nairobi, but the Kakamega-based failed to win their third successive match.