Gor Mahia chairman Ambrose Rachier calls for fan restraint amid tribunal triumph

© Mseal/Samwel Ogor

FKFPL Gor Mahia chairman Ambrose Rachier calls for fan restraint amid tribunal triumph

Festus Chuma 21:52 - 07.12.2023

Gor Mahia chairman has welcomed SDT's suspension of penalties, allowing fans back while urging restraint and sportsmanship.

Gor Mahia chairman Ambrose Rachier has welcomed the injunction issued by the Sports Dispute Tribunal (SDT) on Monday.

The SDT's decision put a temporary halt to the penalties imposed on Gor Mahia by the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) and Sports Kenya in the aftermath of their contentious match against Murang'a Seal on November 16.

The FKF Leagues and Competitions Committee had slapped Gor Mahia with a hefty Ksh 500,000 fine and directed that the team play their next five home matches behind closed doors, with the club being solely responsible for ensuring that fans do not gain access to the stadiums.

Additionally, Gor Mahia was tasked with addressing damages incurred at the stadium and covering the medical costs of the injured match official.

"With the orders, we expect to appear in court on December 13, 2023, for a mention, and in the meantime, the sanctions remain suspended, which means that fans can attend our matches until the matter is determined," stated Rachier as per Citizen Digital.

Rachier emphasized, "Acts of violence or hooliganism are not the intention of the club... we appeal to all our fans attending matches to exercise restraint, even if they do not agree with the decisions of the referees or match officials."

The chaos unfolded following Gor Mahia's goalless draw against Murang'a Seal on November 11, 2023.

Disturbing scenes marred the match venue as a section of fans erupted into mayhem, leading to clashes with security personnel.

The turmoil began when an irate Gor Mahia supporter stormed onto the pitch to confront the referee, alleging poor officiating standards during the game.

The controversy escalated when Benson Omala netted a goal that was flagged as offside.

This decision appeared contentious, given that the Murang'a Seal goalkeeper had deflected the ball back towards the striker, who subsequently found the back of the net before being ruled offside.

Meanwhile, the SDT lifted the ban on the use of the Kasarani Stadium, which was initially imposed until Gor Mahia paid Sports Kenya a substantial fine of Ksh 1.9 million for damages incurred during the aforementioned match-related unrest.

The temporary suspension of the sanctions imposed by FKF and Sports Kenya brings a glimmer of hope to Gor Mahia fans, who can now attend matches while the legal proceedings unfold.

The December 13 court appearance will mark a crucial moment in the ongoing dispute, as both the club and the authorities seek resolution.

 Follow Pulse Sports WhatsApp channel for more news.