Tusker drown Murang'a Seal to keep faint title hopes alive

Tusker drown Murang'a Seal to keep faint title hopes alive

Mark Kinyanjui 14:00 - 12.05.2024

Goals by David Odoyo and former Gor Mahia defender Charles Momanyi enough to see Tusker mount comeback against Murang'a Seal.

Sunday, May 12: Tusker overcame a resilient Murang’a Seal 2-1 in an FKFPL match that took place at the Dandora Stadium to keep their faint title chances alive.

The first half was a thrilling encounter, with both teams displaying attacking intent and creating several goal-scoring opportunities.

Tusker posed the first question in the fourth minute with Daniel Sakari delivering a teasing cross from the right, finding Erick Zakayo at the back post. However, Zakayo's volleyed effort sailed over the bar, denying Tusker an early lead.

Seal responded swiftly, with Eric Balecho breaking down the left flank and unleashing a strike towards goal. However, Tusker defender Asike made a crucial block to divert the ball behind for a corner.

 Nevertheless, Seal capitalized on a set-piece opportunity in the 19th minute, as Boniface Kweyu rose highest to head his team into the lead.

Tusker, determined to claw their way back into the game, found their equalizer just three minutes later. 

Erick Kapaito showcased his skill and composure on the left wing, evading his marker before delivering a precise cross. David Odoyo met the cross with a powerful header, leveling the score at 1-1.

The match continued to ebb and flow, with both teams creating chances in quick succession. Seal came agonizingly close to reclaiming the lead, only to be denied by the woodwork, followed by a superb save from Tusker goalkeeper Brian Bwire.

The Alemen then had a golden opportunity to take the lead, as Kapaito found himself in a promising position thanks to Zakayo's astute pass. However, Kapaito was unable to convert the chance, as his effort drifted wide of the target.

In the dying minutes of the first half, Zakayo once again demonstrated his football intelligence, winning possession on the left flank. His pinpoint cross found Charles Momanyi unmarked in the box, allowing the Tusker defender to nod home from close range and give his team a 2-1 lead heading into halftime.

As the players retreated to the dressing rooms for the break, Tusker held a slender advantage, but with both teams showcasing their attacking prowess, the second half promised to be just as enthralling.

The second half saw both sides take a more cautious approach in the opening moments of the second half.

However, in the 59th minute Siwa Shaphan slalomed down the left to find space, meeting a pass before he struck at goal, but his effort rose marginally over the bar.

They would have another chance again in the 71st minute after a nice piece of combination play from deep resulted in Shaphan whipping in a cross from the right wing, but the ball was tipped in behind for a corner.

Tusker coach Robert Matano opted to make changes at that point, Bringing on Lawrence Luvanda and Ibrahim Joshua for Mike Oduor and Erick Kapaito respectively.

In the 78th minute, both substitutes combined well and should have made it three. Joshua nodded the ball down nicely for Luvanda who then hit  on his weaker left foot but it rolled straight to keeper Bonphas Munyasa. 

Moments later, defender Mike Kibwage also had a go at goal from distance, but his effort rose marginally over. 

In the 86th minute Joshua curled one again from distance after being teed up by Luvanda but the ball rose inches over.

In the end, the scoreline was enough to hand Tusker all the three points, and they are now on 52 points, 10 behind Gor Mahia with five games to go.