Leeds fan attacked by knife-wielding goons outside Norwich City’s stadium after playoff match

Leeds fan attacked by knife-wielding goons outside Norwich City’s stadium after playoff match

Eric Munene • 18:20 - 13.05.2024

A Leeds United fan was suffered cuts to his face after being attacked by knife-wielding goons outside Norwich City's grounds following a Championship playoff between the two sides.

Two people have been arrested following an alleged attack on a football fan outside Norwich City Carrow Road Stadium during the team's Championship semi-final playoff against Leeds United.

It has been established that the victim, a Leeds fan is a man in his 60s who suffered a cut to the face. Norwich have been assisting police and studying CCTV and other footage to try and identify the culprits. Norfolk Police said one of the men is in his late teens and the other one is in his 50s.

The serious incident overshadowed a tense game between two of the division's heavyweights with the tie nicely balanced ahead of the second leg at Eland Road on Thursday.

Though the injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, paramedics were quick to respond to the victim, patching him up on the spot.

Late on Sunday evening, the Canaries in a statement said: "Norwich City can confirm that the Leeds United supporter received medical treatment following an incident that occurred outside Carrow Road following Sunday's Sky Bet Championship play-off fixture. The supporter was seen by paramedics at the scene and did not require further medical treatment."

Daniel Farke’s Leeds entered Sunday’s clash steaming with confidence having done the double over the Canaries this season. At his former home, Farke watched on as his side were held to a goalless draw.

The visitors looked to have found their way for the third time this season, only for Junior Firpo’s goal to be ruled out for offside.

With either side not able to seize the moment, Thursday’s second leg at Elland Road is set to determine a place in the play-off final at Wembley later this month.

The two culprits will remain in custody as fans wait for futher updates from the clubs and police.