Referees narrowly escape wrath of fans after AFC Leopards' stalemate with Posta Rangers

FOOTBALL Referees narrowly escape wrath of fans after AFC Leopards' stalemate with Posta Rangers

Joel Omotto 19:04 - 11.11.2023

Match officials who officiated AFC Leopards’ FKFPL clash against Posta Rangers needed police escort to leave the pitch after supporters directed their anger at them over a number of calls

Referee Felix Ekai and his assistants escaped the wrath of irate AFC Leopards supporters when they had to be escorted by police off the pitch following Ingwe’s 1-1 draw with Posta Rangers at Ulinzi Sports Complex on Saturday.

Ekai and his assistants Drusilla Chepkemoi and Jeremiah Muindi nearly received a beating from a section of Leopards fans who accused them of ‘poor officiating’ during the FKF Premier League clash.

Ingwe fans claimed the referee should have given their team a late penalty while also felt that Brian Marita’s equaliser should have been flagged offside.

The other bone of contention was that Posta Rangers’ Jackson Macharia was not booked for what appeared to be a studs-up challenge late in the first half.

Leopards seemed on their way to their second win of the season after opening the scoring in the first minute through Kayci Odhiambo’s header, who glanced home Clifton Miheso’s corner.

They had chances in the first half to add onto their lead with Boniface Munyendo and Miheso missing from close range while substitute Victor Omune also wasted a glorious opportunity after weaving his way into the box and finding himself one-on-one against goalkeeper John Njau.

However, Posta Rangers upped the ante in the second half and forced Leopards goalkeeper Humphrey Katasi into a couple of good saves but the custodian could do nothing to stop Marita who tapped in Brian Otieno’s free-kick after the Ingwe defence switched off.

After the match, Leopards fans, who watched their team lose two points, directed their anger at the match officials, calling them out for making a number of wrong calls against their side.

The referees were accosted shortly after the match before police intervened and surrounded them for nearly 20 minutes as the supporters bayed for their blood before eventually escorting them off the pitch.