Harambee Stars Player Clears Air on Heart Issue Behind CHAN 2024 Withdrawal

Pamba Swaleh. Image || HANDOUT

Harambee Stars Player Clears Air on Heart Issue Behind CHAN 2024 Withdrawal

Mark Kinyanjui 10:15 - 01.08.2025

Harambee Stars defender Swaleh Pamba has opened up on his unexpected heart condition that left Benni McCarthy no choice but to drop him from his CHAN 2024 squad.

Harambee Stars defender Swaleh Pamba has clarified that his football career is not at risk, following reports that he had been withdrawn from Kenya's final squad for the African Nations Championship (CHAN) 2024 due to a minor heart issue.

Pamba, 23, was omitted from the 25-man squad announced on Wednesday, July 30. Head coach Benni McCarthy explained that medical reports had flagged a "slight problem" with the player’s heart, prompting the technical bench to take precautionary measures ahead of the tournament, which kicks off Saturday, August 2 and runs through August 30.

While McCarthy didn’t go into detail about the specific nature of the issue, he referred to it as “delicate” and said the decision to leave Pamba out was made pending further consultation with medical experts to determine the full implications on his career.

PAY ATTENTION: Stay updated with the Latest Sports News in Kenya from Pulse Sports

Pamba: I am Fully Okay

Harambee Stars Defender Withdraws from CHAN 2024 After Heart Condition – 'I’m Dissappointed'

But in an exclusive interview with Mozzart Sport, the Bandari FC defender offered reassurance: “I am fully okay. I had an appointment with a specialist this morning, and he did not detect anything odd.”

Pamba remains in camp with the national team despite being dropped and is currently awaiting results from a second test, which he hopes will give the green light for a full return.

 “I am yet to get the finer details of the latest test, but as it stands, the previous test took precedence, and that is the reason why I was not cleared and effectively dropped.”

Having made his senior national team debut in June against Chad, Pamba insists he has no history of heart complications and has had to calm the nerves of family and friends concerned by the news.

“It is all God’s plan. I cannot question too much because this was my second time being with the national team, and I looked set to be in the team,” he said. “Normally, I feel a bit disappointed, but this will not be the end of my journey.”

Kenya opens their CHAN campaign on Sunday, August 3, against DR Congo at Moi International Sports Centre – Kasarani, with kickoff set for 3:00 PM EAT.