Benson Omala's lone goal puts Gor Mahia on the brink of FKF Premier League title

© Shabana

Benson Omala's lone goal puts Gor Mahia on the brink of FKF Premier League title

Festus Chuma 16:08 - 11.05.2024

Gor Mahia dominated the game against Shabana FC securing a narrow win to edge closer to the FKFPL title.

Gor Mahia are now two wins away from retaining the Football Kenya Federation Premier League (FKFPL) title after a 1-0 victory against Shabana FC at Jomo Kenyatta International Stadium in Kisumu.

K'Ogalo dominated the match and should have won by a far more convincing margin, but the result nonetheless took them 12 points clear at the top of the log with Kenya Police set to play on Sunday against Nairobi City Stars.

Given that second-placed Police can manage a maximum point tally of 69 points, Gor Mahia just needs to maintain focus in the five remaining matches.

As expected, Gor Mahia dominated the opening exchanges of the game as Shabana were forced to defend their quarters during the first 10 minutes.

In response to K'Ogalo's early pressure, the visitors often looked to hit the league champions on the counterattack.

Gor Mahia had an opportunity to open the scoring from the penalty spot in the 22nd minute but Benson Omala missed the chance to increase his tally for the season.

Johnathan McKinstry's charges continued to see the bulk of the ball possession count midway through the first 45 as the likes of Austin Odhiambo, Musa Masika, and Bryson Wangai probed inside the Glamour Boys area.

Raila Christopher provided one of Shabana's best chances of the half after latching onto a pin-point through ball into the K'Ogalo area.

In an attempt to avert the danger, goalkeeper Caleb Otieno rushed out and sent the ball back into the midfield. 

Gor Mahia broke the deadlock in the 34th minute when Benson Omala made amends for his penalty miss scoring to make it 1-0 after the hosts capitalized on mistakes by the Shabana defense.

Tore Bobe launched attacks as they looked to level matters, but the home side stood firm at the back and Gor Mahia were leading 1-0 during the halftime break.

Gor Mahia remained dominant following the break and came close again through a first-time attempt at the far post from Lawrence Juma.

Shabana battled to control the hosts as the hour mark beaconed and Caleb Otieno parried Mathew Tegesi’s powerful header safely back into play.

Gor Mahia did not sit back and defend thereafter and Francis Odhiambo was forced to make a smart save to deny Austin Odhiambo after a decent move.

Bryan Michira had a chance to level matters in the 70th minute, but his effort was well-saved by Caleb Otieno in the K'Ogalo goalposts.

The hosts whose defense has been rock solid this term were able to contain Shabana in the latter stages of the game and ultimately, Gor Mahia emerged as 1-0 winners.

How they lined up

Gor Mahia: Caleb Otieno, Sylvester Owino, Geoffrey Ochieng, Kennedy Onyango, Paul Ochuoga, Lawrence Juma, Musa Masika, Austin Odhiambo, Sharif Musa, Benson Omala, Wangai Bryson

Shabana: Fredrick Odhiambo, Prince Ayeko, Dimple Omamo, George Onyango, Mark Okola, Justine Omwando, Raila Christopher, Lameck Onuonga, Samuel Maiko, Mathew Tegesi, Ezekiel Omuri

Follow us on X (Twitter) for more updates.