Kenya Police pile pressure on Gor Mahia after strolling over City Stars

Kenya Police pile pressure on Gor Mahia after strolling over City Stars

Mark Kinyanjui 21:00 - 12.05.2024

Tito Okello's brace enough to get Kenya Police another three points, keeping the pressure on leaders Gor Mahia and golden boot leader Benson Omala.

Sunday, May 12 - On-form Kenya Police laboured hard to beat a reselient Nairobi City Stars 2-1 at the Police Sacco Stadium in South C to keep the pressure on Gor Mahia in the race for this season's FKF Premier League title.

Tito Okello's goals were enough to give them another victory, which now puts both player and club with plenty to fight for, as the South Sudanese striker keeps the pressure on Benson Omala of Gor Mahia in the race for this season's FKFPL title.

Police got off to a bright start and took the lead in the seventh minute through Tito Okello, who certainly is really making a statement as a firm contender for the golden boot award.

Police continued to pile on the pressure and should have made it two in the 12th minute,which prompted City Stars custodian Edwin Mulokwe into making a brilliant save. City Stars momentarily got a chance to find an equaliser through Dennis Oalo, but they just could not find the target.

Okellow would make it his second goal of the afternoon in the 27th minute, to make it his 15th goal of the season, and suddenly, the hosts were away and cruising.

City Stars refused to give up, and Samuel Kapen would reduce the deficit in the 38th minute. This prompted head coach Nicholas Muyoti into an unorthodox decision of making substitutions in the first half to find the leveler.

He decided to bring on Abuyeka Kubasu and top goal-getter Vincent Owino for Mohammed Alli and Shem Odhiambo, and it gave Stars some sense of control heading into the break.

Stars started the better of the two sides, and they started creating a couple of dangerous opportunities. One was from left back Dennis Wanjala, who whipped in a dangerous left footed cross towards the danger zone, but no one could find the end of it, resulting in a goal kick.

In the 65th minute, Otieno nearly found the target but his shot was not strong enough to prevent Police custodian Patrick Matasi from safely catching it.

Kubasu and Oalo would then combine brilliantly to create another chance moments later before the latter was next to test Matasi’s resolve, but again, they could not make it 2-2.

Muyoti then opted to sub on Kevin Etemesi for Robinson Asenwa in the 74th minute, and Etemesi did add some directness and chaos. In the 80th minute, he produced a ball from the edge of the box that caused all manner of problems for the Police defense, but ultimately not enough to equalise. 

The game would then be oveshadowed by a series of fouls that prevented the reminder of regular time from getting into any sort of rythm, which prompted the referee to add nine minutes of stoppage time.

In the end, the scoreline would be enough to give Police all the three points. They now sit on 54 points after 29 games played, nine behind Gor Mahia.