Invincibles Kabras Sugar leave bitter taste on KCB to enter three-peat Kenya Cup club

Invincibles Kabras Sugar leave bitter taste on KCB to enter three-peat Kenya Cup club

Mark Kinyanjui 17:28 - 06.04.2024

Kabras Sugar dominated KCB in Kakamega to lift their third consecutive Kenyan Cup title.

Kabras Sugar proved too good for KCB RFC as they clinically dispatched them 29-5 in the second Kenya Cup final in a row and laid their hands on the title for the third consecutive time in an encounter that took place at the ASK Kakamega Showground on Saturday afternoon.

Carlos Katywa's men finished the season unbeaten for the second season in a row and became only the fifth Kenya Cup side to clinch three consecutive titles after Impala, Nondies, Kenya Harlequin, and KCB.

Kabras’ dominant first-half display was enough to see them over the line to continue affirming their status as the top dogs of recent Kenya 15s rugby.

The Sugar Millers' scrum-half Brian Tanga played in Walter Okoth for a center post try which Ntabeni Dukisa converted to put the hosts into the lead.

Kabras would then go ten points up from a penalty after Dukisa perfectly struck the ball in between the uprights. 

Kenya Sevens star Kelvin Wekesa would then be the next to pounce on a loose ball given away by KCB before scoring Kabras' second try, but Dukisa could not repeat his heroics from the penalty and first try.

Dukisa would then land the hosts third try which he himself would convert to make it 22 points to the hosts’ good.

After a horrendous first half for KCB, they would reduce the deficit just before the break when they landed their first points of the match through Vincent Onyala, but it was not subsequently converted, to make it 22-5 going into the break.

The game was much more tighter in the second half, with neither team managing to test each other’s resolve in the opening 20 minutes of the game.

However, things got worse for KCB as flanker Elvis Olukusi was sent into the sin bin for infraction, leaving the Bankers in a precarious situation of having to labor hard for the next few minutes.

KCB thought they had scored their second try in the 64th minute when, from a scrum inside Kabras’ 22-meter-zone, the ball ended up in the hands of Bob Muhati, who made a powerful surge into the try box but failed to land the ball, giving Kabras a reprieve.

Kabras would continue wearing up the KCB backline, and eventually, Brian Tanga would land the first try of the second half which was converted well to make it 29-5 to make it game-set-and-match for the hosts.

In the end, that would be enough to see them retain the crown, and there is a sense of belief that it will take a while before someone manages to knock them off their recent perch.