Vihiga Queens suffer extra-time heartbreak in CAF Women's Champions League qualifiers

© Vihiga Queens

FOOTBALL Vihiga Queens suffer extra-time heartbreak in CAF Women's Champions League qualifiers

Festus Chuma 18:15 - 27.08.2023

Vihiga Queens were defeated in extra time by Ethiopia's CBE FC in the CAF Women's Champions League CECAFA regional qualifiers semifinals.

Vihiga Queens bowed out of CAF Women’s Champions League after Ethiopian side CBE FC annihilated the FKF Women’s Premier League champions 2-1 in the semifinals of the CAF Women's Champions League CECAFA regional qualifiers. 

Queens looked the more settled and attack-minded team in the early stages, though CBE blew a great chance to take the lead in the 14th minute: an attack down the right wing gave Ebenet Asfaw a one-on-one chance with Ruth Aturo, but the goalkeeper made a fine save.

The next chance fell at the feet of Jane Bundi in the 27th minute but Tarikua Barcha was quick off her line to deny the Queens forward, after he had burst through on goal.

CBE squandered a glorious opportunity of their own on the half hour mark. Nardos Makonen dispossessed Tumaini Nafukla in a dangerous area but with only the goalkeeper to beat, Burka Dagne, who had run onto the loose ball, struck her attempt wide.

Bertha Omita had another chance to put Queens ahead before the break and the in-form forward had the beating of Balcha with a looping header but the ball struck the woodwork before hopping harmlessly into the shot-stopper's grateful arms.

Alice Mideru was stopped in the CBE  goal from an injury time effort. The Kenyans, however, ended the first half on a high after Omita found a Merceline Wayodi pass but he was in too much of a hurry to shoot and the effort went wide.

Queens continued their dominance in the second-half, with CBE struggling to cope with the visitors' pace and movement.

CBE came close to breaking the deadlock themselves in the 49th minute as Ariet Odong finally had the better of Aturo, but Robai Kebedi tracked back well to clear the striker's shot from danger.

Queens finally broke the deadlock in the 53rd minute courtesy of Bertha Omita following a good move by the Kenyan  league champions.

Charles Okere’s coached side came close to extending their lead in the 68th minute after Buser’s header from a corner was headed off the line by Kadari, with Aturo out of his goal.

 Mesay was unlucky not to get into the scoresheet in the last seven minutes with a header from the edge of the box that was saved by Aturo.

CBE found the equalizer in the 95th minute when Loza Abera connected a defense splitting pass before sending the ball past Aturo.

Both sides pushed forward in search of a winner but neither could find an opening in the 90 minutes and the game ended 1-1 with extra time looming.