Millionaire from Manchester United’s Misery? How Viral Fan is Benefiting from No Shaving Stunt

Frank Ilett is reported to be earning big from his stunt of not shaving until Man United win five in a row.

Millionaire from Manchester United’s Misery? How Viral Fan is Benefiting from No Shaving Stunt

Joel Omotto 13:12 - 13.02.2026

Manchester United’s viral fan who vowed not to shave until they win five straight matches has addressed reports that he has become a millionaire from the stunt.

Frank Ilett, the Manchester United supporter famously known as "The United Strand," has clarified his earnings from a viral stunt that has seen him go without a haircut for over 15 months.

His long-awaited trim hinges on the club securing a fifth consecutive victory.

Ilett's unique protest began in October 2024 as a response to Manchester United's persistent inconsistency. He pledged not to cut his hair until the team managed to win five games in a row.

PAY ATTENTION: Follow us on Google News, Stay informed with Latest Sport News

As the club struggled on the pitch, his hair grew, and he became a social media sensation, providing regular updates to a growing fanbase.

Viral Challenge Came Close to Ending

Frank Ilett came close to a haircut on Tuesday but Man United drew with West Ham.

Under former manager Ruben Amorim, the team's longest winning streaks were limited to just three matches. Following Amorim's dismissal in January, and a brief caretaker spell under Darren Fletcher, Michael Carrick took over as interim manager.

Carrick has since guided the Red Devils to a four-game winning streak, securing impressive victories against Manchester City and Arsenal, followed by a dramatic 3-2 win over Fulham and a 2-0 success against Tottenham.

A victory against West Ham United at the London Stadium on Tuesday night would have finally ended Ilett's 15-month hair-growing saga. However, Carrick’s team drew 1-1, extending Ilett’s wait.

Fan Dispels "Millionaire" Claims

Has Frank Ilett become a millionaire from his stunt?

The stunt has brought a dose of humour to a fanbase disheartened by the team's earlier form, but it has also sparked speculation about Ilett's financial gains. Having appeared in Paddy Power adverts and launched an e-commerce business, some have suggested he has become a millionaire.

Ilett, however, has set the record straight. "I’m definitely not the millionaire that some people think I am," he told The Sun as per GOAL. "There’s been a lot of talk about making millions, but that isn’t the case. It’s not as well paid as some people think. But that’s not why I started it in the first place."

He also highlighted the practical difficulties of his overgrown hair. "The real pain has been not being able to see properly," he admitted. "It’s actually lucky that I wear glasses because the frames kind of prop my fringe up a bit. I can hardly see most of the time now. It needs to get gone."

Massive Social Media Gains

However, while it is still not known how Ilett has gained financially, when it comes to social media, he has become a celebrity.

So far, he has over 1.5 million followers on Instagram, over 500,000 gained this week as he looked forward to a possible haircut on Tuesday while he has been interviewed with global news outlets like The Sun, Daily Mail, Sky Sports, GOAL and CNN.

He has also had collaborations with players, celebrities, including members of the United squad while his live stream had over 250,000 views.

Haircut to Benefit Children's Charity

Frank Ilett's overgrown hair will benefit a children's charity.

Beyond the viral fame, Ilett's challenge has a charitable component. He revealed that he is raising funds for the Little Princess Trust, a charity that provides real hair wigs to children who have lost their hair due to illness.

"I’m also doing a fundraiser for them. I think we’ve raised about £6,000 for them so far," Frank said. "It’s a really great charity, with great people there too. The length of my hair is 25cm now, which is thankfully long enough to be able to donate."

Looking to the future, Ilett plans to continue creating content. He told FourFourTwo, "I'll still make football-related content, and probably try and branch out a little bit to some other stuff as well."

After United’s failure to beat West Ham, Ilett’s wait continues.