South African Football Association president Danny Jordaan has made a surprise decision regarding the official whose blunder saw Bafana Bafana docked points by FIFA.
South Africans have been up in arms over an administrative error that nearly locked Bafana Bafana out of the 2026 World Cup before they sealed their ticket on Tuesday.
Bafana Bafana beat Rwanda on Tuesday and received a favour from Nigeria, who thrashed Benin, as they made a return to the World Cup, which they last played as hosts in 2010, but had qualified for last in 2002.
However, before that, they had been forced into stressful calculations after FIFA docked them three points for fielding an ineligible player in their match against Lesotho in March.
PAY ATTENTION: Stay updated with the Latest Sports News in Kenya from Pulse Sports
17:54 - 15.10.2025
Veteran South African coach Pitso Mosimane has given reasons why Bafana Bafana qualified for the World Cup with a squad full of local-based players unlike other countries.
Why is the Blundering Official Being Let off The Hook?
That saw an outcry among South African fans as well as former players, including Harambee Stars Benni McCarthy, who wanted heads to roll over the blunder with Bafana Bafana team manager Vincent Tseka the man under the spotlight.
However, South African Football Association (SAFA) boss Danny Jordaan has made a surprising decision, confirming that no one will be punished over the mistake as they have already qualified.
“We are going to the World Cup so the matter is closed. We are not interested in the matter, we are going to the World Cup, qualified and that is where we go. We are not going to dwell on what is behind us,” Jordaan told the media on Thursday.
08:45 - 04.10.2025
Benni McCarthy Slams SAFA Over World Cup Qualifier Blunder
McCarthy urged accountability after South Africa’s World Cup hopes were rocked by an eligibility blunder.
“What is in front of us is the World Cup and African Cup of Nations. The coach must have told you that we are focusing on the African Cup of Nations in Morocco and then the World Cup,” he added.
SA Sports Minister Still Keen to See Heads Roll
It is a decision that has received a lot of criticism as observers feel it sets a bad precedent with South African Sports Minister Gayton McKenzie among SAFA’s biggest critics over the matter.
“We have been embarrassed as a country, we come across as a country who do not understand the rules of FIFA. We come across as a country that wanted to cheat our way to the World Cup,” McKenzie told South African journalist Robert Marawa.
08:12 - 15.10.2025
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy had a roller-coaster of emotions on Tuesday as he watched his country qualify for the World Cup while his team suffered a heavy defeat.
“All those things, in fact, I am writing a letter to SAFA to say withdraw your appeal because they appealed. Under my ministry, this matter will not be swept under the carpet.”