Minutes for ‘Marcelo’ as Sichenje misses AIK’s defeat to Copenhagen

© Erick Ouma

Stars Abroad Minutes for ‘Marcelo’ as Sichenje misses AIK’s defeat to Copenhagen

Imran Otieno • 12:23 - 11.02.2023

The left-back was rested in the latter stages of the second half.

Kenyan international Erick ‘Marcelo’ Ouma added minutes under his belt but his compatriot Collins Sichenje was unused as AIK Solna suffered a 2-1 loss against FC Copenhagen in a pre-season friendly.

The two teams are currenlty taking part in The Atlantic Cup which is a pre/mid season football tournament held in Algarve, Portugal for European football clubs from national leagues which do not operate in the winter months.

The tournament usually comprises of teams mainly of teams from Scandinavia, Northern and Central Europe and was founded in 2011 by former Arsenal, Benfica and Sweden midfielder, Stefan Schwarz and ex-Millwall goalkeeper Brian Horne.

AIK however have had a slow start to the tournament winning only one of their games thus far which came against Brentford’s reserve side and have suffered losses against Copenhagen and current log leaders Brøndby.

The Swedish side had a challenging start to the game against Copenhagen as they were forced to a change in the 11th minute when Abdussalam Magashy went down with an injury and on his place came Elias Durmaz.

Ligi Ndogo Academy graduate John Guidetti was shown a yellow card in the 35th minute as both teams went into the half time break locked in a barren draw.

Copenhagen had a bright start to the second half and took only five minutes to break the deadlock though Hakon Arnar Haraldsson after Christian Sorensen put the ball on a plate for him.

Marcelo was withdrawn in the 67th minute as Axel Bjornstrom came on in his place but Copenhagen went on to double their lead in the 73rd minute when Denis Vavro brilliantly converted his spot kick.

AIK pulled one back deep into stoppage time when Denis Vavro held his nerve to score his penalty in the third minute of added time.

The goal came a little too late as the referee blew his whistle moments after to see Copenhagen bag all three points.