Kenya Police hunt down clawless Sofapaka to seal FKF Cup semi against KCB

Kenya Police hunt down clawless Sofapaka to seal FKF Cup semi against KCB

Mark Kinyanjui 17:12 - 27.04.2024

Police will face KCB in the semi-finals of the FKF Cup.

Kenya Police FC mercilessly carved apart Sofapaka 4-0 to set up an FKF Cup semi-final clash with KCB in a match that took place at the Dandora Stadium on Saturday.

A Samuel Onyango brace sandwiched between goals by David Okoth and Marvin Nabwire were enough to send home a depleted Sofapaka, who had to play midfielders Roy Okal and Sunday Ikhekhai at central defence owing to the unavailability of key players.

Sofapaka nearly took the lead in the 21st minute after Police Keeper Patrick Matasi wrongly executed a pass intended for Baraka Badi towards Sofapaka’s Darius Msagha, who then found himself with a glorious chance to put the ball into an empty net but instead hit it just wide.

Moments later, Kenya Police had their moment to shine and a header by Charles Ouma was cleared off the line in the 19th minute by Humphrey Mieno.

The Law Enforcers would however take the lead in the 23rd minute through David Okoth after he successfully managed to rob the ball off Rodgers Kipkemoi before cutting inside with the ball and then slotting it home with a ferocious left-footed shot

The game would then become a damp squib, but it took until the 44th minute for both sides to miss glorious chances, first, by Police, when Tito Okello could not get on the end of a cross by Abud Omar, and then for Sofapaka, when a delivery by Byrone Ochieng zipped across the goal too quickly for Thomas Kaikare.

Batoto ba Mungu had everything to play for heading into the break, especially considering they created some more promising opportunities.

However, Sofapaka just could not get going in the second half, as Samuel Onyango put Police 2-0 up in the 53rd minute when he got on the end of an exquisite Francis Kahata pass, sending the fans into delirium.

Okello should have made it three for Police moments later when he found himself with acres of space just outside the box but hit it just wide off the bar. 

The visiting side just could not find a way to withstand the pressure, as Police continued piling it. In the 62nd minute, they constructed another move. A neat exchange of passes between Omar, Kahata, and Samwel Onyango led to another dangerous delivery down the left flank, that was proving to be Sofapaka’s Achilles heel, but it sensationally did not count.

Eventually, Police’s efforts would bear fruit. The provider for the first goal would turn provider for the third goal, as Onyango would tap his second goal of the afternoon into the back of the net in the 70th minute.

Sofapaka constructed their first real move in the 72nd minute when Humphrey Mieno hit the ball just over the bar after a cross by Derrick Ngoobi caused confusion in the Police box.

Marvin Nabwire would hit the final nail in Sofapaka's coffin when he got on the end of Clinton Kinanga's pass in stoppage time, with both substitutes combining excellently before the ball found the back of the net.

In the end, those goals would be enough to give them the win, and they will now be facing KCB in the semi-finals of the cup.