CHAN 2024: Nicholas Musonye Reveals Inside Details of CAF Fine After Opening Match Chaos

Nicholas Musonye

CHAN 2024: Nicholas Musonye Reveals Inside Details of CAF Fine After Opening Match Chaos

Festus Chuma 13:34 - 07.08.2025

Kenya was fined by CAF after security lapses during CHAN 2024, with Nicholas Musonye revealing deployment delays and fan misconduct.

Local Organizing Committee (LOC) Chairman of the Africa Nations Championship (CHAN), Nicholas Musonye, has revealed the key failures that saw Kenya receive a hefty Ksh 2.5 million fine from the Confederation of African Football (CAF) for serious security breaches in the opening game of the competition.

Musonye revealed the issues, ranging from delayed deployment to fan indiscipline, that CAF alleged had violated its safety and discipline code.

The fine, issued on Wednesday by CAF, followed violent scenes while Kenya beat DR Congo 1-0 in a match played at Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani, last Sunday.

PAY ATTENTION: Stay updated with the Latest Sports News in Kenya from Pulse Sports

The report by the CAF Security Officer also referenced appalling deficiencies like a stampede within Gate 11, illegal people entering off-limits areas, fans starting fires, and even a motorcycle driving wildly through the masses. These were deemed to be breaches of Articles 82 and 83 of the CAF Disciplinary Code.

"The delay we previously experienced resulted from delay in deployment. If we delayed opening the gates with inadequate personnel, it would have been chaos. But today, the deployment was quite earlier. The match commences at 7 PM, and at 4 PM, you would already observe the deployment being carried out. It's already carried out here and Nyayo and Kasarani," Musonye explained.

CAF penalized Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Ksh 644,500 for the stampede and unauthorized entry, Ksh 1,289,000 for obstruction and assault of CAF officials and guests, and warned for fans causing fires. Another Ksh 644,500 was penalized for past infractions during the Morocco vs Angola match, with half suspended pending future conduct.

Musonye lauded the Interior Ministry and Principal Secretary for upping security measures after the chaos that was witnessed at the opening game.

"I want to seize this opportunity to thank our Principal Secretary for Interior for dropping by to understand what we are doing at the post-security level for this competition. He has been with us since we embarked on this journey. Now he has come to assure us that he will continue supporting us," Musonye said.

He also emphasized fan conduct and cautioned against the entrance of prohibited items like vuvuzelas, whistles, drums, and traditional instruments, which saw Kenya fined by CAF.

"CAF fined Kenya last night. That is a lesson. Through bad manners, we may lose next encounters, the PS noted. Don't bring vuvuzelas, drums, traditional instruments, or whistles to the stadium. They are prohibited items that come with fines. Let's be well mannered and observe the rules," he pleaded.

Looking forward, Musonye called on fans to arrive early, stay orderly, and comply with ticketing procedures to avoid further sanctions.

“We’ve said fans can access the stadiums from 11 AM here, and from 1 PM at Kasarani, even though the game starts at 7 PM. This is to prevent congestion and allow people to come early, enjoy themselves, get tickets, buy a snack or water, and wait for the game.

Musonye further clarified that the ticketing was handled by CAF exclusively, and not FKF nor the LOC, and put an end to flying rumors of hoarding and fake tickets.

"Let me be very clear: CAF is selling the tickets, and not us. I made this public last Monday. This is a CAF event. People making comments about people hoarding tickets are lying. There's even a viral video going around about fake tickets—ignore it."

Musonye concluded by affirming that the LOC has taken lessons from its initial failures and is determined to ensure seamless operations and top-of-the-range security in the future.