‘We Can’t Risk Injuries’ - Benni McCarthy Discloses Why Harambee Stars Withdrew from CECAFA Tournament

Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy. Photo: FKF Media

‘We Can’t Risk Injuries’ - Benni McCarthy Discloses Why Harambee Stars Withdrew from CECAFA Tournament

Joel Omotto 16:00 - 23.07.2025

Harambee Stars boss Benni McCarthy has defended his team’s withdrawal from the CECAFA Four Nations tournament, hitting out at its poor organisation.

Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy has defended his team’s decision to withdraw from the CECAFA Four Nations Tournament, slamming its poor organisation.

Kenya withdrew from the tournament on Monday just a few hours before they were due to play hosts Tanzania with a statement saying McCarthy had pulled out his team due to the poor facilities and overall logistics.

Now, the South African tactician has provided details that led to Kenya’s pullout, hitting out at what he termed sub-standard training facilities that would have exposed his players to injuries just days before the 2024 African Nations Championships (CHAN 2024).

PAY ATTENTION: Stay updated with the Latest Sports News in Kenya from Pulse Sports

“We came to Tanzania with good intentions — to compete and test our systems ahead of CHAN,” McCarthy said as quoted by The Star.

McCarthy Slams Poor Planning From CECAFA

Harambee Stars CHAN
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy ©Backpage

“But what we found on the ground was disappointing. The training pitches were in poor condition, the match organisation lacked professionalism, and overall, it was not an environment where elite athletes could thrive.

“We cannot risk injuries or undermine our tactical progress in such conditions. My responsibility is to protect the players and prepare them in the best way possible.”

McCarthy then hit out at the overall planning of events at the tournant, explaining how he was disappointed by the constant changes in programme while in Tanzania.

“There were delays in transport, last-minute fixture changes, and inadequate recovery spaces. These things matter in high-performance football. Back home, we have access to proper facilities and staff. We can implement our training programme without interruptions,” he added.

Benni Think’s Kenya Were ‘Smart’ to Pull Out

Harambee Stars
Benni McCarthy in training with his Harambee Stars players. Benni McCarthy in training with his Harambee Stars players.

“This is not a step back; it’s a smart move forward. We want to make a real impact at CHAN 2024, and that means preparing the right way.”

Harambee Stars were among four nations, the others being Tanzania, Uganda and Senegal, at the tournament that was staged in Karatu, Tanzania but left after McCarthy decided that the conditions did not favour his team although CECAFA defended themselves.

“We consider Kenya’s withdrawal unfair, especially after significant efforts were made to meet their requirements. It came as a surprise, particularly because all preparations had been completed. We were shocked by Kenya’s decision, more so because everything was set and ready. We had done our part to accommodate them,” said CECAFA boss Auka Gacheo through a statement.

Harambee Stars are now back in training as they tune up for the CHAN 2024 tournament where they are in a tough Group A that also has Morocco, DR Congo, Angola and Zambia.