Police preserve unbeaten record against Bandari with victory at drenched Mbaraki

© Kenya Police FC

FKFPL Police preserve unbeaten record against Bandari with victory at drenched Mbaraki

Imran Otieno 16:55 - 26.04.2023

A torrential downpour in the closing stages of the first half threatened the postponement of the match.

Kenya Police FC extended their unbeaten run over Bandari FC in the league following a 3-0 victory at a water-logged Mbaraki Sports Club on Wednesday. 

Clifton Miheso handed Francis Baraza’s men the lead in the closing stages of the opening half as Elvis Rupia doubled their nine minutes left on the clock while Clinton Kinanga rubber-stamped the win in injury time. 

The Law Enforcers were looking to bounce back following their 1-0 loss to Gor Mahia over the weekend in the Sirkal Derby which hampered their slight hopes of landing the title.

Bandari on the other hand were out to build on their 1-1 draw against FC Talanta at home as they looked to register their first win over Police in the league.

The first real opening of the game came in the 24th minute when James Kinyanjui whipped in a devilish cross that found Abdalla Hassan unmarked in the six yard box but his header failed to hit the target.

Police had their chance a minute later when Charles Ouma dinked the ball over the Bandari defense that was met by Rupia who cushioned the ball well but his effort was saved by Joseph Ochuka in goal.

Bandari went close in the 35th minute when Douglas Mokaya floated in a cross that was met by glancing Umaru Kasumba header but gain the bearings denied the lively encounter an opener.

Police finally broke the deadlock in the 39th minute when Francis Kahata found Clifton Miheso with a cross from the right flank that the former AFC Leopards midfielder controlled well before rippling the back of the net.

The second half was a start stop encounter with the torrential downpour making the game virtually unplayable due to the water-logged pitch that made ground passes impossible.

Police however doubled their lead in the 81st minute when Alvin Mang’eni’s cross was redirected onto the path of Elvis Rupia who fired the ball home despite Ochuka’s best efforts to save it.

There was still time for Police to drill the final nail in Bandari’s coffin as Kinanga received a one-nine pass from Patrick Matasi and hit a first time shot that caught Ochuka off guard.

Police held on for the win as they remain fifth on the log with 46 points while Bandari remained sixth, six points behind the Law Enforcers.