FKF Cup: Drama unfolds as AFC Leopards' semi-final clash against Kenya Police is abandoned

FKF Cup: Drama unfolds as AFC Leopards' semi-final clash against Kenya Police is abandoned

Mark Kinyanjui 18:00 - 26.05.2024

The game will have to be played for the last 30 minutes on Monday after it had to be stopped in the 60th minute after angered fans attacked assistant referee Simon Kuria.

Kenya Police's impending 1-0 lead over AFC Leopards in an FKF Cup semi-final encounter had to be brought to a premature end after a section of Ingwe fans attacked the assistant referee in a clash that took place at the Police Sacco Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Leopards had claimed the bragging rights in the league encounter that took place a fortnight ago, beating the Law Enforcers 1-0, but this time, Police were on course to exert revenge.

Tito Okello would be the hero of the day, as it was his header early on in the match that would see Police go ahead. As it stands, they are at an advantage, considering last

Kenya Police got off to a flying start when on-form Tito Okello who got on the end of a left-footed Kenneth Muguna pass to head the ball past a helpless Levis Opiyo  after the Harambee Stars attacking midfielder had received an exquisite pass from Francis Kahata.

Police should have made it two a minute later through Muguna after a swift move involving Kahata and Okelo ended up in the feet of the former Gor Mahia keeper, but his shot was not enough to give Opiyo too much trouble.

Leopards did however start getting their groove and they had a good chance from a set piece after a dangerous left-footed delivery by Clifton Miheso caused confusion in the Kenya Police box, but Randy Bakary failed to get on the end of it.

They had another attempt in the 35th minute, this time, through Clifton Miheso, but his attempt from the edge of the box could only hit the bar. This left Ingwe with plenty to do heading into the break.

There was a controversial moment at the start of the second half when Police’s Okello was fouled by Vincent Mahiga and Kayci Odhiambo near the edge of their box, which left their fans incandescent, but the referee saw no reason to severely punish the culprits, only giving a foul in their favor.

Leopards would then start dominating possession in efforts to try and find an equaliser. However, the game had to take a momentary pause after the referees were called into the dressing rooms after a section of AFC Leopards fans threw missiles at the assistant  referee Simon Kuria, citing poor officiating.

Things were so bad, Leopards players, led by Clifton Miheso, had to try and calm them down.

After wide consultations, it was decided that the game would be completed on Monday for the last 30 minutes.