Detectives unravel mystery of Kelvin Kiptum's final hours before tragic crash

ATHLETICS Detectives unravel mystery of Kelvin Kiptum's final hours before tragic crash

Festus Chuma 14:00 - 21.02.2024

DCI has traced marathoner Kelvin Kiptum's last hours before his fatal crash, examining movements and interactions without disclosing specific restaurant visits.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has shed light on the poignant final hours of the late marathon world record holder Kelvin Kiptum revealing a detailed timeline leading up to the tragic road crash that claimed his life on February 11. 

Directed by the Head of Homicide, Martin Nyuguto, a specialized team from Nairobi embarked on a meticulous investigation, tracing Kiptum's last movements alongside his coach, Gervais Hakizimana, both of whom met their untimely demise in the accident.

The investigation was spurred by pleas from Kiptum's father, Samson Cheruiyot, demanding a thorough inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the crash. 

According to Standard, DCI's probe has uncovered that Kiptum visited three distinct locations just hours before the fatal incident: Talex Inn Restaurant Pub and Car Wash, The Well Irish Pub and Restaurant at Rupa Mall, and The Grand Miarmir Guest House, all situated along the Eldoret-Nairobi highway.

Eyewitness accounts and digital evidence have pieced together a timeline of Kiptum's movements. 

At approximately 9:12 PM, Kiptum, along with Hakizimana and Sharon Chepkurui, the sole survivor of the crash, were seen at The Grand Miarmir Guest House. 

Here, the trio enjoyed a meal, marking their last known location before the accident. The car, a Toyota Premio with registration KDL 566F, departed the guest house at 10:25 PM, embarking on a journey towards Chepkorio, Elgeyo Marakwet, Kiptum's training base. 

However, tragedy struck at Flax junction, roughly 36 kilometers from their last stop, where the vehicle collided with a tree at high speed.

The hours leading up to the accident have been under scrutiny, with investigators particularly focused on the gap between 9 PM and the time of the accident at 11:15 PM. 

Preliminary findings suggest that the car veered off the road due to excessive speed, a factor corroborated by the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA), which also confirmed that the vehicle had no mechanical defects prior to the accident.

Statements from employees at the establishments Kiptum visited provide a glimpse into his final moments.

 At The Well Irish Pub, Jeremy Kipkorir noted that Kiptum and his companions arrived around 6:36 PM and left shortly before 9 PM. Elphas Sitienei, Director of Grand Miarmir, confirmed their arrival at the guest house, where Kiptum enjoyed his favorite meal in the VIP lounge, paying via mobile money transfer.

Despite the ongoing investigation, details of Kiptum's stay at Talex Inn on the preceding Sunday remain elusive. 

Follow Pulse Sports WhatsApp channel for more news