Senegal FA President Accuses Morocco of Controlling CAF After AFCON Final: 'I Was Being Misled'

Senegal FA President Accuses Morocco of Controlling CAF After AFCON Final: 'I Was Being Misled'

Abigael Wafula 19:38 - 25.01.2026

Senegal FA president Abdoulaye Fall has reignited controversy after the AFCON final by accusing Morocco of exerting undue influence over CAF.

Almost a week after the chaotic 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final, tensions surrounding the tournament remain high.

Despite Senegal’s 1-0 extra-time victory over Morocco, the aftermath of the final has continued to stir controversy, particularly regarding refereeing decisions and organisational issues.

On Saturday, Abdoulaye Fall, president of the Senegalese Football Federation (FSF), broke his silence and delivered a scathing critique of Morocco’s role within African football’s governing structures.

PAY ATTENTION: Follow us on Google News, Stay informed with Latest Sport News

Accusations of Moroccan Influence Over CAF

Speaking after the final, which was marred by clashes following Senegalese protests against officiating, Fall accused Morocco of exerting excessive influence over the Confederation of African Football (CAF).

“Morocco controls the CAF, let's be clear about that. They control everything and decide everything. No country has opposed Morocco like Senegal has,” he said, according to reports by Le Soleil.

Fall further suggested that Morocco’s financial and political leverage discourages opposition from other African nations.

“They have the resources, and many countries don't dare go against their will,” he added.

FSF’s Pre-Final Grievances and Security Concerns

On the eve of the final, the FSF released a widely discussed statement expressing its “deep concerns” ahead of the match. One of the federation’s main complaints centred on security issues during the team’s arrival in Rabat.

Senegal head coach Pape Thiaw revealed that the squad felt unsafe upon reaching the Rabat train station, stating that his players had been “in danger.”

According to Fall, a crisis meeting was later held involving officials from the Royal Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF).

“Everyone was passing the buck. At that point, I realised I was being misled,” Fall explained.

Training Camp Dispute Raises Further Tensions

Another contentious issue involved Senegal’s training arrangements. The national team declined to train at the Mohammed VI Football Complex, which had been established as Morocco’s base camp for the tournament.

Fall said the decision was non-negotiable once he was informed of the situation. “When Abdoulaye Sow informed me of this, I told him clearly: ‘We're not going there,’” he recalled.

He justified the refusal by citing concerns over privacy and competitive integrity. “You're completely exposed. Every little detail can be scrutinised,” he added.

Fall’s latest comments contrast sharply with the FSF’s more conciliatory tone ahead of the final. At the time, the federation sought to calm tensions, stating that “concrete solutions” had been reached and thanking the FRMF president for his intervention.

The FSF had praised the cooperation as being conducted “in a spirit of fraternity, mutual respect and sporting cooperation.”

These renewed accusations are likely to provoke strong reactions across African football circles, reopening debates about governance, neutrality, and power dynamics within CAF, despite Senegal’s historic triumph on the pitch.