Robinson Asenwa, Edwin Mukolwe deliver victory for City Stars against Bandari

Photo credit || Nairobi City Stars

FKFPL Robinson Asenwa, Edwin Mukolwe deliver victory for City Stars against Bandari

Mark Kinyanjui 17:38 - 09.12.2023

Mukolwe made a series of saves that prevented Bandari from restoring parity after going behind in the fourth minute courtesy of Robinson Asenwa.

Edwin Mukolwe was the hero for Nairobi City Stars as he made a series of second-half saves that won them all three points at Bandari's expense in an FKFPL match played at the Ruaraka Grounds on Saturday afternoon.

City Stars started brightly and opened the scoring in the fourth minute through Robinson Asenwa after cleverly dispatching the ball past a helpless Joseph Ochuka.

In the 29th minute, City Stars keeper Edwin Mukolwe went down injured after Bandari created a good opportunity to restore parity but Edwin Buliba fortunately cleared it off his line.

In the 34th minute, a fit-again Mukolwe denied Derrick Nsibambi a chance to score with a decisive save to maintain Stars’ lead.

City Stars then created a couple of opportunities through Samuel Kapen, who whipped a couple of dangerous balls from the right flank, the first which was missed by Wycliffe Omondi and the other by Mohamed Ali.

The second half saw both teams struggle to create inroads in the other side’s final third for the opening stages, which prompted City Stars coach Nicholas Muyoti to make changes, bringing on Andrew Kisilu and Dennis Wanjala for Elvis Noor and Mohammed Ali in efforts to get back into the lead.

Bandari also opted to bring on Abdallah Hassan for Umaru Kasumba to try and restore parity. This injected some pace into the Dockers' attack as they started stretching City Stars from the flanks.

In the 70th minute, Fidel Origa attempted a shot that nearly restored parity for Bandari, forcing the Simba wa Nairobi keeper into making yet another excellent save.

Another chance went begging moments later when Atariza Amai’s free kick found Nsibambi, who was unmarked in the box but his headed attempt went wide.

Dennis Wanjala nearly scored a second when he was found making an overlapping run down the left flank before attempting a shot that went just wide off the mark.

Abdala forced Mukolwe into making yet another excellent save from a free kick in the 80th minute.

In the 84th minute, there was a lapse when Robert Onyango and Mukolwe attempted to go for the aerial ball before he felled the City Stars keeper. On the rebound, Nsibambi tried a shot on goal but Buliba made another clearance off the line, but although the referee blew for a foul, it meant the keeper needed more medical attention.

Owing to the numerous series of fouls that prevented the game from getting into rhythm, the referee opted to add seven minutes of added time.

City stars opted to keep their defence tight as Bandari tried to make direct balls to equalise and Kevin Etemesi even hit the post just before the end.

They just had to settle for a 1-0 win to give them all three points.