Murang'a Seal miss chance to close gap on Shabana

©Mara Sugar

NSL Murang'a Seal miss chance to close gap on Shabana

Festus Chuma 15:01 - 28.05.2023

The Central-Kenya based side struggled in front of goal against the Sugar Millers.

Murang’a Seal squandered a chance to close the gap on National Super League log leaders Shabana FC as they were held to a goalless draw by Mara Sugar on Sunday afternoon. 

The stadium was packed and thousands of fans were ready for a mouth-watering extravaganza of football. But they were left disappointed after the match failed to produce a single goal.

As the two sides got proceedings underway, it was Mara Sugar who edged Murang’a Seal in the feeling-out process. After five minutes on the clock, the Sugar Millers struggled to get the ball into the final third.

Murang'a Seal got into a passing rhythm soon thereafter but had difficulty progressing the ball up the field. With 10 minutes played, there was very little to separate the two teams while they continued to exchange jabs in the middle of the park.

The home team increased the pressure towards the 15 minute mark and managed to win consecutive corner kicks in the process. Despite the goal scoring opportunities, Mara Sugar failed to convert their chances.

After 20 minutes on the clock, Murang'a Seal attempted to make way in the Sugar Millers half, however, the hosts remained solid in defence.

The game reached a tacky period toward the half hour mark as neither side created any noteworthy goal scoring opportunities. However, the possession count appeared to have swung in Muranga’s favour as they stroked the ball around with ease.

With little action being produced at both ends, Mara Sugar and Murang’a Seal  headed into the break deadlocked at 0-0.

Muranga’ Seal  restarted the match as the aggressors and immediately asserted themselves on the ball possession count. While Mara Sugar penned Murang'a Seal back, the away team fought back in creating a few goal scoring opportunities of their own.

With an hour played at the Awendo Green  Stadium, Murang’a Seal had to contend with numerous attacks by the likes of Philemon Nyakwaka and Victor Ngume. In a response, Seal attempted to string passes together but were blunt in the final third.

In what was a golden opportunity for Seal  late on in the tie, second-half substitute Gideon Were fluffed his lines in front of an open net, much to the frustration of coach Francis Xavier.

Man of the Match Arnold Akafwale made some crucial interceptions and clearances - frustrating the Seal attackers in the process. 

Ultimately, the encounter ended in a 0-0 draw with Mara Sugar and Murang’a Seal sharing the spoils on the day.