Mike Tyson: Boxing great suffers medical scare during flight to Los Angeles

Mike Tyson || Imago

Mike Tyson: Boxing great suffers medical scare during flight to Los Angeles

Joel Omotto 21:56 - 27.05.2024

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, 57, encountered a medical emergency during a flight to Los Angeles just two months before his fight with 27-year-old Jake Paul.

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson encountered a medical emergency while on a flight from Miami to Los Angeles on Sunday, according to his representatives.

The 57-year-old boxing icon reportedly became nauseous and dizzy during the flight, prompting flight staff to seek assistance from passengers, including any medical professionals onboard.

Paramedics were called to the scene upon the plane's arrival in Los Angeles, where Tyson received treatment. The flight had already been delayed by two hours in Miami due to the heat.

The incident occurred just two months ahead of Tyson's scheduled fight against YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul in Dallas. Tyson's representatives assured that he is now doing well, attributing his discomfort to an ulcer flare-up that occurred 30 minutes before landing.

“Thankfully Mr Tyson is doing great,” his representatives told The New York Post.

“He became nauseous and dizzy due to an ulcer flare up 30 minutes before landing. He is appreciative to the medical staff that were there to help him.”

Ulcer flare-ups typically manifest with symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, bloating, chest pain, and fatigue. Tyson's medical episode caused concern among passengers, with cabin crew issuing an announcement and paramedics boarding the plane upon arrival in Los Angeles.

Eyewitnesses recounted the incident, noting Tyson's importance as a passenger and the urgency to ensure his well-being. Following the landing, there was an additional delay of approximately 25 minutes while Tyson received medical attention.

“He was in first class, but we were an exit row,” an eyewitness said. “They asked us to stay on the plane and landed so paramedics could enter. [The stewardess] said something like, "He's a really important passenger so we wanna make sure he's OK." I knew it was him, but I just mouthed the words "Mike Tyson" and she nodded her head yes.”

Tyson, who has admitted to daily marijuana use in the past, has refrained from using the substance during his training for the upcoming fight, as it is listed as a banned substance by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

Additionally, he has temporarily abstained from sexual activity as part of his training regimen.