CAF condemn attack on referee fighting for life after severe assault by fans during match in DR Congo

©n OC Renaissance

CAF condemn attack on referee fighting for life after severe assault by fans during match in DR Congo

Festus Chuma 15:15 - 13.06.2024

A referee in DR Congo is critically injured after being attacked by fans during a Congo Cup match prompting CAF condemnation.

African football’s governing body, CAF, has issued a strong condemnation following a brutal attack on a referee during a Congo Cup match between OC Renaissance and FC Tanganyika.

The match official, whose condition is now critical, was assaulted by fans after Tanganyika emerged victorious in a dramatic penalty shootout.

In a statement, CAF expressed its outrage over the incident that happened on Friday at Stade Tata Raphael in  Kinshasa

"The Confédération Africaine de Football (CAF) has strongly condemned the attack on a match official during the domestic match between OC Renaissance and Tanganyika," the statement read.

CAF emphasized the need for stringent measures to prevent such incidents in the future, urging the Fédération Congolaise de Football-Association (FECOFA) to act decisively against the perpetrators.

"CAF has called on FECOFA to take strong action in accordance with its rules against the perpetrators to deter future similar incidents and to protect referees at football matches," it added.

The referee was overseeing a tense Coupe du Congo quarter-final when the violence erupted.

Tanganyika had secured a 3-0 victory in the penalty shootout after the match ended 1-1 in regular time.

As emotions ran high, opposition fans overwhelmed security personnel and launched a savage attack on the match official using kicks, blows, and plastic chairs.

The injured referee was swiftly taken to a Kinshasa hospital, where he is currently receiving treatment. His condition remains critical, highlighting the severity of the assault.

CAF has committed to monitoring the situation closely, ensuring that justice is served.

"CAF will follow this matter closely," the statement concluded.

Tanganyika's victory has set them up for a semi-final clash against the winner of the OC Bukavu Dawa and Celeste FC match, scheduled for Saturday, June 8.

Meanwhile, the football community awaits FECOFA's response to CAF's call for decisive action.

This shocking incident has cast a shadow over the Congo Cup, raising urgent questions about the safety and security measures at football matches.

The outcome of CAF and FECOFA's investigations will be pivotal in restoring confidence and ensuring the protection of referees in future games.

Follow us on X (Twitter) for more updates.